Automated Residential Garbage Collection
- Category: Sanitation & Recycling
The City of Augusta will be implementing a new automated garbage collection system starting March 4th, 2014 (see full cart delivery schedule below). The automated collection truck has a single driver that controls a side arm device that grabs, lifts and empties the rollout cart into the truck and returns it to the curb. Carts will be delivered to service addresses throughout the community during the month of March. Once a cart has been delivered to your service address, the City will no longer pick up any other type of refuse container or bags placed at the street. Collection occurs once each week on the designated collection days.
We are excited to offer our customers this new service. Please see answers to the most frequently asked questions about the new service. If you do not see an answer to your question, please call our office and we will be happy to assist you 316-775-4560.
What to Put in Your Trash Cart
- Regular household trash
What Not to Put in Your Trash Cart
- Grass, leaves and other lawn and garden waste
- Liquid waste of any type
- Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
- Items too large to fit in cart
- Hot embers or ashes
- Rocks, concrete or dirt
- Construction, remodeling or demolition debris
- Unprotected needles and sharps
About the Trash Carts
Your new 96-gallon rollout trash cart will be delivered during the month of March, 2014. The rollout carts used in the collection system are City property and assigned to your address. These carts are designed to work with our collection trucks. Although the 96-gallon cart should be large enough for the average Augusta household, an extra cart can be issued for an additional monthly fee. Call Utility Office at (316) 775-4555.
Placement for Collection
- Place your carts at the curb or in the gutter pan against the curb with at least 3 feet of separation between them, and clear of trees, shrubs, mailboxes, parked vehicles, etc. Drivers need an unobstructed path for emptying the carts. Do not place carts out in the streets.
- Your carts should be facing the street with the lid fully closed.
- Roll your carts to the curb between 5:00 p.m. the day before collection and 6:00 a.m. the day of your collection.
- Remove your carts from the curb the same day after pickup.
Caring for Your Trash Cart
- Only put acceptable items in your carts.
- Avoid overfilling the carts. The automated collection system works best if the lid is completely closed.
- Do not place more than 200 pounds of material in your carts.
- Store your carts in a location that is behind the front line of your house.
- Rinse your carts out with a garden hose as needed.
- Report damaged carts to Utility Office immediately. A replacement fee will be billed to your account for damage caused by improper use of cart.
Free Rollout Service
Disabled residents and elderly residents (72 yrs or older) who have difficulty moving their carts to the curb can request free rollout service. Call Sanitation Department at (316) 775-4560.
Larger bulky items that cannot be disposed of through regular automated collection methods can be taken to the landfill for free using landfill coupons available through the City Utility Office. Call Utility Office at (316) 775-4555.